Egg salad tartine with extra virgin olive oil, wild capers, and anchovies
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, buttered
- 6 free-range eggs, hard boiled
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs (1/3 parsley, 1/3 scallion (spring onion), 1/3 dill)
- 6 grinds of black pepper
For the garnish:
- 40 small salted capers
- 12 anchovy fillets in olive oil
- Wash the capers under running water. Strain. Because the capers are still salty, no salt is added to this dish.
- Cut the hard-boiled eggs into thin slices with an egg slicer then turn 90 degrees and slice again, so you have nice, even cubes.
- Put the mustard, olive oil, and black pepper in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the eggs and chopped herbs.
- Mix gently so that the eggs are not pureed.
- Divide between the buttered bread slices, garnish with the capers, then cut each slice into triangles.
- Place on serving boards and add 1/2 an anchovy fillet to each triangle.